Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ham webinars

Earlier today I ran across a reference to webinars on ham radio subjects presented by the Potomac Valley Radio Club (www.pvrc.org). At the top of the page there is a link labelled PVRC Webinars. Click on that and it will take you to another site with several (currently 7) webinars. I partly watched and mostly listened to three of the presentations. I was impressed by the expertise and knowledge of the presenters, and learned some things I did not know. The three I watched were:
  • Cycle 24... and more by Carl Luetzelschwab, K9LA
  • Welcome to contest antennas: DX or domestic. What's your pleasure by Dean Straw, N6BV
  • When giants first walked the bands; the early days of multi-multi by Doug Zweibel, KR2Q

The first presentation gave me just enough information to encourage me to learn more. There is a related presentation that will be available soon. Dean Straw demystified some aspects of antenna arrays, but I doubt I will ever have the real estate to create some of the large antennas he discussed. The third presentation was a history lesson on large contest stations from the 60's to mid-80's. Interesting photos and the speaker knew many of the folks shown personally.

The webinar idea intrigues me, and I plan to explore ways that our club might consider doing something like this. Technically it should be feasible, but whether there are folks who could pull it off is another topic.

Keep learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment